An old favourite makes its come back with an Ayurvedic twist!
For vata and kapha, keep the vegetables tender; pitta will benefit from (and may even enjoy) al dente vegetables.
Serve with sesame noodles or simple boiled rice.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15–20 mins
Ingredients for Vegetable Stir Fry
9oz (250g) firm tofu, cut into cubes
6 tbsp soy sauce, to taste
2 tsp ground cumin
2 pinches of chilli powder
1 tsp ground ginger
6 tbsp vegetable oil
4 tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1¾lb (800g) vegetables by dosha, washed and thinly sliced
• VATA equal parts zucchini, swiss chard, and carrots
• PITTA equal parts white cabbage, spinach, and red bell peppers
• KAPHA equal parts bok choy (quartered, not sliced), bean sprouts (whole), and red bell peppers
1 stalk of lemongrass, cut in half lengthwise, or 2 tsp lemon zest
4 tsp sesame oil (optional)
¼ cup shredded basil, to serve
Ingredients for Sesame Noodles
7oz (200g) egg-free noodles by dosha
• VATA rice vermicelli
• PITTA whole-wheat noodles
• KAPHA buckwheat noodles
2 tsp salt, or to taste 2 tbsp vegetable oil (optional)
¼ cup brown sesame seed
Steps for Stir Fry
1. Marinate the tofu for at least 10 minutes in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of cumin, a pinch of chilli powder, and the ground ginger.
2. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a wok. Add 2 tablespoons of grated ginger and cook for 30
seconds, then add the pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, and the remaining cumin and chilli powder. Immediately add the sliced vegetables, with the exception of the bean sprouts (if using), together with the remaining soy sauce, a little water, and the stalk of lemongrass (if using).
3. Stir-fry the vegetables until they are cooked according to dosha: vata, well-cooked; pitta, slightly undercooked; and kapha, just crisp or al dente. If using bean sprouts, add these in the final 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from the heat and add the remaining grated ginger. If you are using grated lemon zest, add it now.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a nonstick frying pan and pan-fry the tofu with the marinade over medium heat until it turns golden brown and crisp. Add this to the vegetables.
5. Add more soy sauce to taste if required, sprinkle with the sesame oil (if using, avoid adding oil here if cooking for those with dominant kapha), and add the basil to serve.
For Sesame Noodles
1. If using rice vermicelli, cover with boiling water, let stand for 3 minutes, then drain well.
If using whole-wheat noodles, boil them for 10 minutes in salted water until al dente, then drain. If using buckwheat noodles, boil for 5 minutes in salted water, drain, then rinse in cold water. Drizzle with oil (if using).
2. Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat until they become fragrant and turn a shade darker. Sprinkle over the noodles, mix well, and serve.
Recipe and Stir Fry + Noodles Images sourced from Practical Ayurveda: Find Out Who You Are and What You Need to Bring Balance to Your Life